Gibsonville did not exist before Joseph Gibson, a local farmer, provided grading services in 1851 for the newly formed NC Railroad Company. The first train arrived on October 9, 1855 and the depot was named Gibson Station in his honor. On February 18, 1871 the state legislature issued a charter to Gibsonville.
Gold mining played a minor role here when deposits were discovered on Gibson Hill south of town in the early 1800’s. Several wooden saloons were also located downtown during the rough gold mining days.
The depot Greens were a holding area for livestock and agricultural goods being shipped out on the railroad which was the primary economic purpose of Gibsonville. In 1886 Berry Davidson built the Minneola textile mill on Railroad Avenue. He then built the Hiawatha textile mill on Eugene St in 1893.